Sharesmagazine
 Home   Log In   Register   Our Services   My Account   Contact   Help 
 Stockwatch   Level 2   Portfolio   Charts   Share Price   Awards   Market Scan   Videos   Broker Notes   Director Deals   Traders' Room 
 Funds   Trades   Terminal   Alerts   Heatmaps   News   Indices   Forward Diary   Forex Prices   Shares Magazine   Investors' Room 
 CFDs   Shares   SIPPs   ISAs   Forex   ETFs   Comparison Tables   Spread Betting 
You are NOT currently logged in
 
Register now or login to post to this thread.

Strauss-Kahn Held In Jail After Bail Denied     

Bernard M - 17 May 2011 11:27



Strauss-Kahn Held In Jail After Bail Denied

11:13am UK, Tuesday May 17, 2011

Dominique Strauss-Kahn is being held at the notorious Rikers prison in New York after being denied bail.
To view this content you need Flash and Javascript enabled in your browser.

Please download Flash from the Adobe download website.

The head of the International Monetary Fund is in a cramped 11ft-by-13ft cell - less than a week after staying in a $3,000-a-day hotel suite.

Instead of his marble bathroom, a king-sized bed and feather and down duvet from the Sofitel near Times Square, he has only the most basic supplies.

On arrival at the prison the economist was given rudimentary bedding, a drinking cup, soap, shampoo and toothpaste.

He was also physically and psychologically examined before being separated from other inmates in case he is attacked.



Dominique Strauss-Kahn at Manhattan Criminal Court


Mr Strauss-Kahn, 62, has been accused of sexual assaulting a hotel maid at the Sofitel on Saturday when she arrived to clean his room.

He allegedly emerged from his bathroom naked, dragged the maid from the corridor and then attacked her.

The economist was located by police after he rang the hotel to say he had left behind his mobile phone and told staff he was at JFK Airport.

He was removed from a flight by two officers minutes before it was due to take off and returned to the city.



Mr Strauss-Kahn in court as the prosecutors outline the allegations


His legal team insist he is innocent of the charges which include attempted rape, sexual abuse and unlawful imprisonment.

They proposed a $1m bail and said he could wear an electronic tag.

But Judge Melissa Jackson, at Manhattan Criminal Court, denied bail - claiming there was a risk he might flee back to France.

She said: "When I hear your client was at JFK airport about to board a flight, that raises some concerns."

Bernard M - 19 May 2011 16:18 - 67 of 150

What you smoking tanker

Bernard M - 19 May 2011 17:45 - 68 of 150

Bernard M - 19 May 2011 18:00 - 69 of 150

Funny video

Bernard M - 20 May 2011 05:59 - 70 of 150

Sex Charge Ex-IMF Chief Set To Leave Prison

BM pass go and collect 200



5:40am UK, Friday May 20, 2011

Hannah Thomas-Peter, Sky News reporter, New York
Former IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn is due to be released from prison later today after being granted bail by a New York court.

A judge in New York set bail at $1m and imposed an insurance bond of $5m.

Strauss-Kahn,will be placed under 24-hour home detention with electronic tagging - conditions which he had already agreed to.

The 62-year-old, who has been formally charged with the sexual assault and attempted rape of a hotel maid, will also be monitored by an armed guard at his expense.

This was the second time within days that he had asked in court to be released.

Strauss-Kahn also signed an affidavit waiving his extradition rights.

Chris Carson - 20 May 2011 06:38 - 71 of 150

Nice one Bernard!

Bernard M - 20 May 2011 06:39 - 72 of 150

..Former IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn is due to be released from prison later today after being granted bail by a New York court.



A judge in New York set bail at $1m and imposed an insurance bond of $5m.

Strauss-Kahn, will be placed under 24-hour home detention with electronic tagging - conditions which he had already agreed to.

The 62-year-old, who has been formally charged with the sexual assault and attempted rape of a hotel maid, will also be monitored by an armed guard at his expense.

This was the second time within days that he had asked in court to be released.

Strauss-Kahn also signed an affidavit waiving his extradition rights.


He is spending one more night at the notorious Rikers Island prison, where he has been on suicide watch, before being released from custody after paperwork is signed.

His lawyers welcomed the granting of bail, saying they were "very relieved" and expect to return to court on June 6, when the accused will formally answer charges.

Prosecutors confirmed Strauss-Kahn was indicted by a grand jury, which means the case will proceed to a trial if he pleads not guilty.


He has not yet entered a plea but his lawyers have said he intends to deny the charges against him.

His lawyer told the court his French client, who has resigned as managing director of the IMF , was an "honourable man" who would not skip bail.

He said the prospect of the accused "teleporting" himself to France was "ludicrous" as his face was well-known.


Strauss-Kahn's wife and daughter were in court for the hearing.

Prosecutors argued that the accused had no right to be released. They said the proof was substantial and grows every day against him.

On Monday, he was denied bail after the prosecution successfully argued he was a flight risk.

In a resignation letter to the organisation's board on Thursday, he wrote: "I deny with the greatest possible firmness all of the allegations that have been made against me.

"I want to protect this institution which I have served with honour and devotion, and especially I want to devote all my strength, all my time, and all my energy to proving my innocence."


The 32-year-old hotel maid, whose identity is being protected, gave her side of the story to the grand jury on Wednesday.

The hearing was held in secret and it is not known what she said.

Her lawyer Jeffrey Shapiro dismissed speculation that the maid would also pursue Strauss-Kahn for damages in a civil suit.

He said: "It's not contemplated and it's not been discussed ... I'm helping her get through each day."

Strauss-Kahn was detained by New York police on Saturday aboard an Air France flight minutes before it was to depart for Paris.

If the case goes to trial and he is convicted, he faces up to 25 years in prison.

..

Bernard M - 20 May 2011 06:40 - 73 of 150

Thank's C C.

Bernard M - 20 May 2011 07:17 - 75 of 150

It also emerged Strauss-Kahn may face an HIV test amid claims his 32-year-old alleged victim has the virus.

TANKER - 20 May 2011 08:11 - 77 of 150

she will be proven to be after money

TANKER - 20 May 2011 08:21 - 78 of 150

on the boarders of the states ilegals are shot or deported in days .
but if you are the aunt of abama you are not .

TANKER - 20 May 2011 08:30 - 79 of 150

have been reading about the maid . she will end up in jail

TANKER - 20 May 2011 08:36 - 80 of 150

obama is a racist

TANKER - 20 May 2011 08:52 - 81 of 150

if she has aids why was she allowed to work in a hotel .
i would sue that hotel for putting me at risk .

Bernard M - 21 May 2011 15:12 - 82 of 150

This made me laugh. Welsh idiot.

Player's attempt to sue Twitter backfires
Share
retweet
EmailPrintSat May 21 12:45PM

Thousands of Twitter users are posting the name of the Premier League star who won a super injunction to stop details of his affair going public in protest at the player's attempts to sue the social networking site.
The star began legal proceedings against Twitter in the High Court earlier this week to try and force the firm to release details of users who had named him as the married player who'd had a lengthy affair with former Big Brother contestant Imogen Thomas.

Lawyers have demanded that Twitter hand over the names of users who disclosed the player's name in order that they could pursue legal action against them, and possibly persuade authorities to bring contempt of court action.

The star's name has been splashed all across Twitter for several weeks - as well as being published in several other countries - but given that the site is US-based it seems the married superstar would have little chance of winning the legal battle.

And now the move has backfired completely as his name has been repeatedly re-Tweeted by fans of the site, who are apparently outraged at the attempt to gag their free speech.

"xx xx is suing Twitter. I can't Imogen why," is just one of the messages being repeated over and over on the site

Haystack - 21 May 2011 16:42 - 83 of 150

Even before the new thousands of tweets, the name of the footballer had been read by more than 2 million people.

TANKER - 21 May 2011 17:00 - 84 of 150

looking at press from the usa on the dsk story .
it now tells me that the usa IS FULL OF NAZIS AND HITLER AND IS SAS ARE STILL
ALIVE AND STILL WORKING THERE EVIL THE STATES SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THERE OWN COUNTRY . THEY ARE A DISGRACE TO MANKIND .
by the way i am 100% english and ashamed at what they call justice

TANKER - 21 May 2011 17:06 - 85 of 150

no wonder there nation is a nation of muderers and prisons are full
they are sub normal beings the pictures on tv are like films on the last war
HIMLA STILL LIVES

Haystack - 21 May 2011 21:03 - 86 of 150

Bookies William Hill had said it would accept bets of any amount at any odds for those wanting to wager on the end of the world.

"We often take bets on the end of the world and we always allow customers to choose their own odds - after all, we don't have to worry about paying them out," said Hill's spokesman Graham Sharpe.

"Unless it transpires that there are bookies in the hereafter."
Register now or login to post to this thread.