A nasty little floater just bobbed to the surface....
Government ‘considered cuts to employment and support allowance’
Internal documents seen by BBC suggest officials considered cutting ESA by as much as £30 so it is effectively worth the same as jobseeker’s allowance
Patrick Wintour, political editor
The Guardian, Thursday 30 October 2014 08.40 GMT
The government is considering cutting the value of the main employment and support allowance (ESA) sickness benefit by as much as £30 so that it is effectively worth the same as jobseeker’s allowance, internal documents seen by the BBC suggest.
New claimants, judged to be capable of work with appropriate support, could be given just 50p more per week than people on jobseeker’s allowance (JSA).
The Department for Work and Pensions said the ESA proposals were not government policy, but that they reflected ministers’ search for a solution to the backlog of claims for ESA and its higher than forecast cost. George Osborne, the chancellor, has said he is seeking a £12bn cut in the welfare bill, and has so far identified a quarter of these cuts mainly through freezing the value of most benefits for two years.
The DWP has been struggling with ESA ever since it replaced incapacity benefit. The main contractor, Atos, quit the contract assessing claimants after a massive backlog built up and criticism grew of the way in which the medical assessments were made. The backlog is currently running at more than 600,000. It is thought an American firm, Maximus, has been selected to replace Atos.
Government officials will be looking at cutting the value of ESA, partly because of concern that JSA claimants are moving off JSA to claim the higher value ESA.
More:
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/oct/30/cuts-employment-support-allowance-papers-jobseekers-allowance